Senior Infants Work at Home – Week: May 5th – May 8th 2020
Senior Infants Homework from Tues 5th May to Fri. 8th May.
- Jolly phonics Sounds: Revise all sounds in word bag. Please ensure that your child knows the correct name of each letter as well as the sound it makes.
- Tricky Words: : These words need to be learnt as sight words i.e. when your child sees these words he/she needs to say the word immediately. Revise all tricky words in wordbag every night.
Tues & Wed: New word : because Thurs & Fri: New word: want
The new tricky words could be written on a piece of paper similar to the others.
- Blending List: write the words in your child’s homework copy
Word Box 14: BLEND (sound out/read) & SEGMENT (stretch out)
Tuesday: Words: yes, six, fox,
Wednesday: Words ‘chip, chick, shed,
Thursday: Words ‘ flash, wish,
Friday: Words ‘chest, shock
Blending is an important skill for reading. Segmenting is an important
Skill for writing. When reading the words with your child, encourage
Your child to say ‘b-u-n-ch ….. bunch’.
- Grammar Rule: y at end of word can sound like ‘ee’
- Reading: Oxford Owl are offering free ebooks for school children. You have to register and then you have access to many free ebooks.
Writing Activities for the week:
Parents: Data: Ask your child to sort the clothes that you have taken off the clothes line. They might decide to sort them into girls’ and boys’ clothes or big clothes and small clothes. Encourage different methods of sorting: big boys’ clothes, small boys’ clothes, big girls’ clothes, small girls’ clothes etc.
When taking a walk, ask your child to notice all the animals he/she sees. Your child counts all the small dogs they see, you count all the big dogs you see. When finished your walk, decide which dog was the most popular and which was least popular. This can also be done using other things, e.g. cars/trucks, flowers etc.
Ask your child to interview all family members to see what dinner you should have; chicken, pasta or pizza. Give them some paper and some crayons. Tell them they should colour a yellow dot for chicken, green dot for pasta and red dot for pizza. At the end, ask your child which choice of dinner was the most/least popular.
Tuesday: Cracking Maths pge..111
Just Handwriting pg.56 (Capital G)
Sounds make Words pge. 74
Wednesday: Sounds make words pg.75
Cracking Maths pge. 112
Pupils Phonics Book pge. 20 ( Parents, see 3rd bullet point below about dictation )
Thursday: Cracking Maths pg. 113
Grow in Love pg 62
Just Handwriting pg.57 (Capital D, B, G)
Friday: Cracking Maths pge. 114
Pupils Phonics Book 2 pg.21
Grow In Love pg 63
During the Week:
- Just Handwriting Practice Copy – Next two pages. Draw a picture at top of the page.
- Writing Copy – Write ‘Our News’ and draw a picture.
- Dictation – Pupil Phonics Book 2 pge. 20 – Parents please call out some of the following words to your child. Get your child to say the word very slowly. He/she can listen to the sounds and put up a finger for each sound (start with thumb on right hand). Feel free to add in any other short, simple words. Once they have sounded out word they can write the word on the line in page 20.
Words: hid, hum, ant, from, slip, shed, them, chain, harp, mushroom
(Parents, please send a brief email with a picture of your child’s writing ( handwriting, news, dictation) to your child’s teacher at some stage during the week)
Mrs Kelleher Senior Infants Writing Work
Tuesday: Sounds Make Words pg. 70
Cracking Maths pg. 110
Write ‘My News’ or a story of your choice in your copy.
(watch your spacing between words & remember that tall letters go up to the top line)
Wednesday: Cracking Maths pg. 111
Sounds Make Words pg.71
Just Handwriting pg. 44 (Capital K,X,F,E)
Thursday: Cracking Maths pg. 112
Grow In Love pg. 62
Just Handwriting pg. 45 (Capital M)
Friday: Cracking Maths pg. 113
Sounds Make Words pg. 72
Grow in Love pg. 63
Junior Infants – Theme 10 – Lesson 5 Mary
During the Week:
- Just Handwriting Practice Copy – Next two pages
- Writing Copy – Parents please call out some of the following words to your child. Get your child to say the word very slowly. He/she can listen to the sounds and put up a finger for each sound (start with thumb on right hand). Feel free to add in any other short, simple words. Words: hid, hum, ant, from, slip, shed, them, chain, harp, mushroom
- Revise One, Two Buckle my Shoe – identify tricky words. Point at the words in the rhyme and try to say each word (try blending any unknown word). Say the rhyme by yourself, nice and slowly. You can colour rhyming words e.g. two /shoe in red…etc).
(Parents, please send a brief email to me at email@example.com at some stage during the week if you have not already do so. Many thanks)
Dear Parents. It would be wonderful if you had a look at what your child would have been learning in ‘Grow in Love’ at this time. By following the link below you will be able to see fantastic engaging videos, art ideas and music that go with each lesson. We wish you and your family every blessing during this COVID19 period. To access the online material log on to: www.growinlove.ie with the following details:
- PE, Ball games – can you play football/hurling/basketball/tennis in your garden? Try a GoNoodle/Joe Wicks activity every day!
- Religion – Practice your prayers. How can you make someone happy each day?
- Science – Electricity – what things use electricity in your home? How can you be safe around electricity?
- Household- Can you give your room a Spring Clean? Can you tidy your toys?