Junior Infants Work at Home – Week: April 27th – May 1st 2020
- Your child is not saying the name of the sound. He/she is only saying the sound the letter makes and words that begin with / contain that sound.
- Encourage your child to think of words which begin/contain each sound!
- Jolly phonics Sounds Bag:
New Sound: ar . Words that contain ‘ar’ can be drawn and/or pictures stuck into sound copy e.g. arm, park, dark, star, farm, car, bark, heart, art, jar …etc.
‘ar’ action: Open mouth wide and say ‘ah’. Revise all sounds in the Sound bag.
- Tricky Words: New word: here. (Parents , please write the word on a piece of card similar to the size of the other words already in the Tricky Word bag & put it into the tricky word bag).
Encourage your child to give you sentences containing the word here and the other tricky words in the bag e.g. ‘My chair is over here/ Can you please come here? / I put my school bag down here …etc.’
These words need to be learnt as a sight word i.e. When your child sees these words he/she needs to say these words immediately. Revise all the words in the Tricky Word Bag.
- Rhyme: Revise ’Incy Wincy Spider & the other rhymes in the folder.
This week we will revisit ‘Incy Wincy Spider’. Please encourage your child to put their Peter Pointer finger under each word as they share read with you. Your child can read any word that they know and you can read the words that they have difficulty with. Please focus on tricky words and simple 3 letter words which your child can sound out. Your child can draw a ring around any words that they can identify / read. Your child can say the rhyme by themselves, nice and slowly.
- Blending: Help your child to sound out the sounds in these Encourage your child to say each of the sounds individually first e.g. r-ai-n = rain. Parents, please write these words as a list in your child’s Homework Copy.
Monday: rain, jog
Tuesday: coat, jail
Wednesday: loaf, lie
Thursday: rail, snail
Friday: tree, feed
Blend each of the words every evening and encourage your child to put the words into sentences.
- Number Work: Count up to 10. Count back from 5. When counting, encourage your child to clap / snap fingers / march / jump …etc when saying each number..
- Maths: These are some ideas for helping your child this week with maths.
- Have some races. Who came first? Who came last?
- Who was the last person to put their plate in the sink? Who was the first?
- Ask your child what was the first thing they did when they woke up this morning. What was the last thing they did before they went to bed?
- Sequence stories: what material did the little pig use to build the first/last house?
This is a really fun concept to develop at home. But be sure not to associate first and last with races – it isn’t always about winning and losing.
- Reading: Read some books at home. Look at and chat about the pictures. See if you can spot any tricky word or if you can read any short word by blending. What was your favourite part of the story? Why?
Writing Homework (Mrs Kelleher / Ms. Burke / Ms. Carey)
Monday: Cracking Maths pg. 91 (Mrs Kelleher)
Cracking Maths pg. 82 (Ms. Burke, Ms. Carey)
Sounds Make Words pg. 60
Handwriting (Big Book) pg. 14
Tuesday: Cracking Maths pg. 92 (Mrs Kelleher)
Cracking Maths pg. 83 (Ms. Burke, Ms. Carey)
Pre Reading Activity Book pg. 72
Handwriting (Big Book) pg. 15
Wednesday: Pre Reading Activity Book pg. 73
Sounds Make Words pg. 61
Cracking Maths pg. 93 (Mrs. Kelleher)
Cracking Maths pg. 84 (Ms. Burke, Ms. Carey)
Thursday: Sounds Make Words pg. 62
Grow in Love pg. 44
Pre Reading Activity Book pg. 74
Friday Handwriting Book (Big Book) pg. 16
Grow in Love pg. 45
Email: email@example.com Password: growinlove
Junior Infants – Theme 7 – Lesson 2 The Church- A special place to pray!
During the Week:
- Just Handwriting Practice Copy (small book) – Next two pages & draw pics on the top
- Writing Copy – ‘Our News’ – draw a picture & write some little words by sounding out if you can.
Mrs.McCarthy’s Junior Infants Writing Work
Monday: Cracking Maths pge 85
Sounds make words pg. 77
Just Handwriting Big Book pg. 48 (p)
Tuesday: Pre Reading Activity Book pg.72
Cracking Maths pge.86
Just Handwriting Big Book pg. 49 (p)
Wednesday: Pre Reading Activity Book pge. 73
Sounds make words pge. 18
Cracking Maths pge 87
Thursday: Sounds make words pge. 30
Just Handwriting Big Book pg. 50 (k)
Grow In Love pg 48
Friday: Just Handwriting Big Book pg. 51 (k)
Pre Reading Activity Book pge. 74
Grow In Love pg 49
During the week:
- Just Handwriting Practice Copy pg.19 and 20 ( p and k)
- Writing Copy – Our News – Draw a picture and write some words by sounding them out if you can.
(Parents, please send a brief email to your child’s teacher at some stage during the week. Many thanks) firstname.lastname@example.org
- PE, Ball games – can you play football/hurling/basketball/tennis in your garden? Try a GoNoodle/Joe Wicks activity every day!
- Outside (Back garden)-plant flowers, become an explorer, have a teddy bear picnic, make an obstacle course
- Inside – do a jigsaw, read to a special teddy bear, paint, draw, play with lego, make playdough, sing a song
- Household- help at home! Clean your room, help dust, keep an eye on the recycling, help put away the shopping
Please refer to handwriting sheet on the website for correct formation and words to use when writing each letter.