5th Class Work at Home – Week: June 2nd – June 5th 2020
Click the button below to see a social story about having a teams call with my teacher. This may be very useful for some children prior to their first group call.
Please send your email to the class teacher – this will allow them to send an invite for your child to join a group meeting online via Microsoft Teams.
The following video shows how to join a Microsoft Teams meeting:
- Correct maths [answers below]
- Revise Multiplication & Division Tables
- Revise all maths topics covered in 5th Class
- Scéal an Lae: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwspl08EtkY&list=PLbcLsUBW9b3AsknOKbR0-K_No4maqeKBB&index=4 Listen to the story and pick out words/phrases you understand. Don’t worry if you don’t understand the whole story.
- Duolingo website/App – for extra Gaeilge practice
- Léigh ‘Ag Snámh’ & ‘Seó Tallainne’ agus freagair na ceisteanna: [orally]
|Reading||● Novel: ‘Holes’ by Louis Sachar. Available online here: http://www.hayatschool.com/kuwait/articles/Holes_by_Louis_Sachar1.pdf
● Read pages 35- 47 of ‘Holes’ [Chapter 18 to the end of chapter 24]
● Answers these questions orally.
1. Why does Stanley write his letter in the tent?
2. Explain how Stanley is in the wrong place at the wrong time in Chapter 19.
3. Do you think it is fair that Stanley takes the blame for Magnet? Why?
4. Why does Mr. Sir not believe that Stanley took the sunflower seeds?
5. What do you think the warden means when she tells Stanley it is unfortunate for him that Mr. Sir will not die?
6. Do you think Mr. Sir regrets telling the warden what has happened? Why?
7. Why does Stanley decide not to tell the other boys what happened?
8. Why, do you think, Stanley decides to teach Zero how to read? What does this tell you about Stanley?
9. Do you think that Zero is a ‘stupid’ boy like everyone seems to think?
10. How does Mr. Sir punish Stanley?
Topic: Renewable Energy
Task: Create a poster, PowerPoint or video on Renewable energy
- You might like to include Energy and Power from the past from last week’s history.
- Include different types of renewable energy- solar, wind, hydro power, geothermal etc.
- Include fact boxes with new information.
- Include pictures or drawings.
These links might be helpful:
Task: Create your own wind turbine using materials from home.
These pictures might give you some ideas.
Lesson 1: Environmental Sounds from ‘Dabbledoo Music’
- Be as quiet as you can and see if there are any sounds you can hear.
- Try opening the windows and repeat this listening exercise.
- Can you hear sounds from outside?
- Cars, barking dogs, rain?
- Think of three quiet sounds and three loud sounds.
- Create a symbol or picture to show these sounds in the worksheet below.
Lesson 2: Composing Challenge
John Cage was interested in new ways of making music. Here is a short video of him performing with some very unusual instruments. Watch and listen carefully!
The Composer Challenge – House Walks
Create your own composition using sounds as you walk through your home.
You can record your composition on a phone, so you’ll have the sounds and the visuals to think about.
Start at the front door for 10 seconds.
Visit 2 separate rooms in the house – 1 minute per room
Each room should have at least 1 long sound, 1 short sound, 1 quiet sound and 1 musical sound.
Finish at the back door or back window for 10 seconds
Your Composition Sheet
Find your sounds and practice how to make them. How long is each sound? How many times will you make it? You can use the worksheet attached to write out your ideas.
Here is a composition sheet.
Keep exercising each day. Try this week’s challenge or come up with your own!
- Guided Meditation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64QzBuhsyuk&feature=youtu.be
- Complete these activities from ‘At Home with Weaving Wellbeing’
*Please email us if you have any questions or if you want to share children’s work*
|Ms. Murphy [Room 25]||email@example.com|
|Ms. Murphy [Room 30]||firstname.lastname@example.org|