5th Class Work at Home – Week: June 15th – June 19th 2020
Click the button below to see a social story about having a teams call with my teacher. This may be very useful for some children prior to their first group call.
Please send your email to the class teacher – this will allow them to send an invite for your child to join a group meeting online via Microsoft Teams.
The following video shows how to join a Microsoft Teams meeting:
- Correct maths [answers below]
- Challenge questions below.
- Continue to revise tables.
- Scéal an Lae: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8A1YVXbDQ&list=PLbcLsUBW9b3AsknOKbR0-K_No4maqeKBB&index=16 Listen to the story and pick out words/phrases you understand. Don’t worry if you don’t understand the whole story.
- Duolingo website/App
- Léigh ‘Caisleán Gainimh’ agus freagair na ceisteanna ORALLY:
|Reading||· Novel: ‘Holes’ by Louis Sachar. Available online here: http://www.hayatschool.com/kuwait/articles/Holes_by_Louis_Sachar1.pdf
· Read pages 61-75 of ‘Holes’ [Chapter 31 to the end of chapter 37]
· Answers these questions orally.
1. How does Stanley feel after Zero’s disappearance?
2. Why do you think the warden wants to destroy Zero’s records?
3. Do you think Stanley cares about Zero? Why?
4. Do you think it is a good idea for Stanley to run away after he crashes? Why?
5. What is the difference between the holes at the camp and the holes outside the compound?
6. How has Zero arrived at the desert?
7. How does Barf Bag end up in hospital?
8. Who do you think the boat is named after?
9. What worries Stanley most about dying?
10. Do you think the boys make a good team? How does this help them?
‘Summertime’ by Brandon Tyler Martin
Answer these questions orally:
|Compose your own alphabet poem based on the theme ‘Holidays’:
AND SO ON
S.E.S.E/ Visual Art
Task 1: Happy 50th Birthday Scoil Ghobnatan
- Get creative and draw, colour or paint a picture for our school. All artwork will be displayed on the front window of Mallow Library on June 22nd
- This may be placed in a box in Danos or emailed to your class teacher.
Task 2: Create a holiday brochure (A4 sheet of paper)
- Choose your destination (somewhere in Ireland or a foreign country)
- Describe the weather
- List some fun things to do
- List some interesting places to see
- Describe the food/ restaurants
- Include pictures/ drawings
Here are some templates & ideas:
Listen to some summer songs!
Here are some examples:
- ‘Here Comes the Sun’ by the Beatles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQetemT1sWc
- ‘Walking on Sunshine’ by Karina & the Waves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK5KhQG06xU
- ‘Surfin USA’ by the Beach Boys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbs1luUIxCE
- ‘Mr. Blue Sky’ by Electric Light Orchestra https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8dsvclf3Tk&feature=youtu.be
What songs remind you of summer? Pick your favourite & come up with a dance to go with it!
Keep exercising each day. Try this week’s challenge or come up with your own!
Topic: Water Safety
To stay safe at the beach, always remember F.L.A.G.S.:
- F – Find the red and yellow flags and swim between them. Always swim where there is a lifeguard on patrol and stay inside the area marked by the red and yellow flags. Never swim where a sign says not to, or when the red flag is flying.
- L – Look at the safety signs. Always read and obey the safety signs – they will help you to avoid potential dangers on the beach, and to identify the safest areas for swimming.
- A – Ask a lifeguard for advice. If in doubt, it’s always best to play it safe and ask the experts.
- G – Get a friend to swim with you. Make sure there are other people around, because you never know when help might be needed.
- S – Stick your hand in the air and shout for help if you get into difficulty. While holding your hand in the air, thread water by kicking your legs and moving your other hand in the water.
Check out this link for some fun online water safety activities:
|· 1 hour = 60 minutes
· ½ hour = 30 minutes
· ¼ hour = 15 minutes
· ¾ hour = 45 minutes
|· 1pm = 13:00 [12+1]
· 4pm = 16:00 [12+4]
*Be careful when subtracting time
This week’s Teams chat will take place on Wednesday. If you have already signed up for it, you will get an email with an invite by Monday afternoon. If you have not already signed up, please email your class teacher to be added before 12 noon on Monday.
We will be discussing:
- Scoil Ghobnatan 50th birthday art
- Guess the County [see below]
- Show & Tell [if you have a piece of art/poem/project you would like to talk about- we would love to see it]
- Any other questions or concerns
*Please email us if you have any questions or if you want to share children’s work*
|Ms. Murphy [Room 25]||email@example.com|
|Ms. Murphy [Room 30]||firstname.lastname@example.org|