1st Class Work at Home – Week: May 5th – May 8th 2020
- Continue on with daily Master Your Maths-Week 29 (Pgs 62 & 63).
- We encourage you to work on daily oral maths with your child. The following are a sample of questions that can be used for the week & adapted slightly each day:
-Is the number 6 an odd or even number?
-What is 10 more than 35?
– Tom bought an ice-cream for 17 cent. What coins could he have used to pay for the ice-cream?
– Which month is between March and May?
– Emma had 12 books in her school bag. She took 5 books out. How many books were left in the school bag?
-How many minutes are in half an hour?
-9+7 is the same as 7 and
– How many edges are on a cuboid?
-Is a circle the same as a sphere?
- Revise 6+ tables.
- Maths around the house: this week pay particular attention to 2D Shapes (circle, rectangle, triangle, square & semi-circle). Name & describe 2D shapes, draw them & identify 2D shapes in the environment.
- co.uk have excellent games online to help with revision of maths topics.
- Continue with spellings & activities in workbook-List 29.
- Revise next two sounds in hardback ‘Sounds Copy’-‘ll’ and ‘st’. Read over the words containing these sounds. Can your child think of more words containing these sounds.
- Continue to read with your child. Oxford reading tree books can be accessed on http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/. You can also continue to use the borrowbox app to download ebooks.
- Keep a daily diary of activities.
- Call out a sentence to your child & they can write it (dictation).
- Oral Language: Similar to last week, to help develop your child’s oral language, we recommend that you log onto the folens online website. The following steps will help:
- Select ‘Register’
- Select ‘Teacher’
- Fill in your name, email, a password & Roll number. For Roll number use the code: Prim20
- When logged in -inside ‘Search FolensOnLine’, search ‘Starlight 1st Class’
- Click on ‘Starlight 1st Class Resources’
- Go forward to page 12. Open the third last resource on this page ‘Poster-12. The Sun’.
- There are 7 different activities to complete within this poster-Explore, Story 1, Story 2, Labelling, Questions, Poem & Activity.
- Please complete Poster 12 activities with your child this week.
Cúla4 on TG4 provides plenty of Gaeilge programmes which children can watch to keep up their Gaeilge learning.
Ball games-can you play football/hurling/basketball/tennis in your garden?
Outside (Back garden)-plant flowers, become an explorer, have a teddy bear picnic, make an obstacle course.
Grow in Love:
Similar to last week, to help you to continue religious education with your child, we encourage you to log onto the Grow in Love website. The following steps will help:
- Click on ‘Login’
- Enter: ‘email@example.com’ as your email & ‘growinlove’ as your password
- Once you’ve logged in, click on First Class/P3
- Theme 8: Jesus is still with us-Lesson 1: ‘ I am with you always’
Drawing: Experiment with the marks, lines, shapes , textures , patterns and tones that can be made with different drawing instruments on a range of surfaces. Your child could draw a self portrait in pencil and add crazy hair. Use coloured pencils to colour.
You can sign up a free Twinkl account if you wish to get extra school work. Twinkl have organised a folder for first class. www.twinkl.ie