Work at Home – Week: May 18th – May 22nd 2020
- This week complete the next weekly test-continue on from last weekly test completed (Pgs 66-95).
- We encourage you to work on daily oral maths with your child. The following are a sample of questions that can be used for the week & adapted slightly each day:
-In which month is Halloween?
-What is 4 more than 54?
-How many tens are in the number 70?
-How many corners are on a cuboid?
-Which holds more orange: a litre carton or a litre bottle (Note : they are both the same!)
-Is the number 41 odd or even?
-2 cakes + 1 cake + 7 cakes =
-Laura had 20 football cards. Her friend Ray gave her 10 more. How many cards has she now?
-How many days of the week end with the letter ‘y’?
- Revise 8+ tables.
- Maths around the house: this week pay particular attention to capacity. Estimate, compare, measure and record capacity using non-standard units. Select and use appropriate non-standard measuring units and measurements. Then estimate, measure and record capacity using standard unit (the litre) and solve simple problems. Help your child to find things in the home measuring 1 litre (carton of milk, bottle of Fanta etc).
- co.uk have excellent games online to help with revision of maths topics.
Learn spellings from List 31.
- Revise next two sounds in hardback ‘Sounds Copy’-‘sp’ and ‘lt’. Read over the words containing these sounds. Can your child think of more words containing these sounds.
- Continue to read with your child. Oxford reading tree books can be accessed on http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/. You can also continue to use the borrowbox app to download ebooks.
- Keep a daily diary of activities.
- Call out a sentence to your child & they can write it (dictation).
- Oral Language: Similar to last week, to help develop your child’s oral language, we recommend that you log onto the folens online website. The following steps will help:
- Select ‘Register’
- Select ‘Teacher’
- Fill in your name, email, a password & Roll number. For Roll number use the code: Prim20
- When logged in -inside ‘Search FolensOnLine’, search ‘Starlight 1st Class’
- Click on ‘Starlight 1st Class Resources’
- Go forward to page 13. Open the third last resource on this page ‘Poster-13. Funny Foods’.
- There are 7 different activities to complete within this poster-Explore, Story 1, Story 2, Labelling, Questions, Poem & Activity.
- Please complete Poster 13 activities with your child this week.
- Duolingo is a free website that you can use to learn Gaeilge.
- CÚLA 4 Ar Scoil is available at 10am on TG4.
Ensure your child gets 15-20 minutes of physical exercise daily. Joe Wicks is continuing to do a live workout for kids on YouTube every morning at 9am. If you don’t have access to the internet you can still do PE (10 jumping jacks, 9 squats, 8 leap frogs…)
Grow in Love:
Similar to last week, to help you to continue religious education with your child, we encourage you to log onto the Grow in Love website. The following steps will help:
- Click on ‘Login’
- Enter: ‘email@example.com’ as your email & ‘growinlove’ as your password
- Once you’ve logged in, click on First Class/P3
- Theme 8: Jesus is still with us-Lesson 3: ‘ Go and share the Good News’
Art for kids hub channel on YouTube offers easy to follow drawing videos. Children could try a different drawing each day.