1st Class Work at Home – Week: May 11th – May 15th 2020
- Continue on with daily Master Your Maths-Week 30 (Pgs 64 & 65).
- We encourage you to work on daily oral maths with your child. The following are a sample of questions that can be used for the week & adapted slightly each day:
-Name the month that has exactly 28 days.
-Sarah left her house at half past 8. She arrived at school at 9 o’clock. How long did the journey take her?
-Which is longer: your ruler or a metre stick?
-If you looked at the wheel of a bicycle, what shape would you see?
-Carol had 8 cent. She lost 5 cent. How much does she have now?
-What number is 2 less than 7?
-The woman in the shop had 4 umbrellas. She sold 2 but then got 3 more. How many had she then?
-What number is 2 tens and 7 units?
- Revise 7+ tables.
- Maths around the house: this week pay particular attention to 3D Shapes (Cube, cuboid, cylinder & sphere). Ensure your child can recognise these 3D shapes. Discuss the use of 3D shapes in the environment. Explore the relationship between 2D & 3D shapes.
- co.uk have excellent games online to help with revision of maths topics.
- Continue with spellings & activities in workbook-List 30.
- Revise next two sounds in hardback ‘Sounds Copy’-‘y says i’ (dry, cry, my)and ‘sh’. Read over the words containing these sounds. Can your child think of more words containing these sounds.
- Continue to read with your child. Oxford reading tree books can be accessed on http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/. You can also continue to use the borrowbox app to download ebooks.
- Keep a daily diary of activities.
- Call out a sentence to your child & they can write it (dictation).
- Oral Language: Similar to last week, to help develop your child’s oral language, we recommend that you log onto the folens online website. The following steps will help:
- Select ‘Register’
- Select ‘Teacher’
- Fill in your name, email,a password & Roll number. For Roll number use the code: Prim20
- When logged in -inside ‘Search FolensOnLine’, search ‘Starlight 1st Class’
- Click on ‘Starlight 1st Class Resources’
- Go forward to page 13. Open the third last resource on this page ‘Poster-13. Funny Foods’.
- There are 7 different activities to complete within this poster-Explore, Story 1, Story 2, Labelling, Questions, Poem & Activity.
- Please complete Poster 13 activities with your child over the next fortnight.
- Duolingo is a free website that you can use to learn Gaeilge.
- CÚLA 4 Ar Scoil is available at 10am on TG4.
Change4Life and Disney have teamed up to bring you Shake Up games. These 10-minute bursts of fun will really get you moving and count towards the 60 active minutes every child needs every day!
Grow in Love:
Similar to last week, to help you to continue religious education with your child, we encourage you to log onto the Grow in Love website. The following steps will help:
- Click on ‘Login’
- Enter: ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ as your email & ‘growinlove’ as your password
- Once you’ve logged in, click on First Class/P3
- Theme 8: Jesus is still with us-Lesson 2: ‘ I will send a helper’
Construction Project: Make the tallest structure/tower you can by using items you can find at home.